0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Loudlon's Tab Corner!

IamMark
Great, now Lon has to race Father Time and the Reaper.

God Speed Lon!
LoudLon [moderator]
Father Time and the Reaper, eh? No sweat. I'll kick their asses so hard they'll burp farts for a month.

New sub: The Man Who Sold the World, by Nirvana

bill – I'll be tabbing your Roachford request next. Time permitting, I hope to have it done no later than Sunday.

Quote:
Father Time and the Reaper, eh? No sweat. I'll kick their asses so hard they'll burp farts for a month.New sub: The Man Who Sold the World, by Nirvanabill – I'll be tabbing your Roachford request next. Time permitting, I hope to have it done no later than Sunday.

Cheers Mate. Bill.
LoudLon [moderator]
Only to Be with You, by Roachford (requested by bill trnc)
LoudLon [moderator]
Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen
2nick3
Quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen

That's “Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (ver 7) bass tab”. Yes, there are 6 previous versions. One has a 5-star rating, two have 4.5 stars, three are 4 star. Just based on a quick look at the tabs and the tabbers, I'd pick Lon's version to use, based on how cleanly it's laid out and by his reputation, but it's the 7th version here.

I can see having a few different versions if they are modified for different skilled players (and noted as such), but unless John Deacon rerecorded the bass line for each Greatest Hits album this song is on, there's really only one version of this bass line.

We could really use some kind of feedback mechanism to mark duplicate tabs that can be removed. Maybe a way for regular users to mark a tab as replaced by a better version. Not a rating, but a “there's a better option” indicator. Tabs that get a few of these notes are then reviewed by moderators and deleted.

If I'm trying to learn a song from the tabs here, I'm going to figure out which ones don't work well very quickly. That keeps it from being a “job” for someone to comb through the duplicates, but as time goes by the extraneous ones will get removed.
Twiggybass
I agree her. I just finished tabbing the Mechanical Animals album. A lot of the tabs that were already there weren't every close to being correct. The tab for Posthuman was even remotely correct. It took me a month to do that album and I think I did a pretty good job. There is also like multiple tabs for The Dope Show. The song is played in Low B and some of them say “Standard.”
LoudLon [moderator]
New sub – Rhinoceros, by Smashing Pumpkins. Sorry to whoever requested it – I forget who it was, and it's long, long overdue.

About multiple tab versions:. Every rating comes down to one thing, and that's how good an ear the rater has. I've seen a lot of 5-star tabs here that are way off. Similarly, I've seen a lot of less-than-5-star tabs here that are actually spot on. The only explanation is that whoever rated the tab doesn't have all that good an ear.

I'll use Bohemain Rhapsody as an example. I tabbed it because whoever it was who requested it last year (another apology for my only getting around to finishing it last night and having forgot who it was that requested it lol) obviously felt the existing 5-star tab wasn't accurate. After seeing the song on the request list, I played along with the song, following that tab, and agreed that it was juuuuuust a bit off in spots, hence why I decided to take the request. So I located John Deacon's original bass master track, played it and the song at the same time listening closely for any discrepencies, and found none. So I knew it was the real thing, and I based my tab on that original bass master track. So it stands to reason it should be 100% accurate, right?

However – to use another of my own tabs as an example – I also based my tab for Nirvana's In Bloom note-for-note on the genuine bass master track, and even embedded that track with my tab for comparison, yet still someone rated it less than 5-stars because, bass track provided or not, the tab sounded off to that person.

So before we can start whittling down and weeding out lower rated/non-5-star tabs, we need to determine first if the tab was rated less than five stars because it's wrong, or if it was rated less than five stars because the rater can't hear worth a shit LOL

The hiccup is that there are so many tabs in the database that it would take a platoon of master bassists months to go through each and every one of them to determine accuracy. And I don't know about you guys, but while I enjoy tabbing, I still have a life that needs seeing to LOL
2nick3
Quote:
The hiccup is that there are so many tabs in the database that it would take a platoon of master bassists months to go through each and every one of them to determine accuracy. And I don't know about you guys, but while I enjoy tabbing, I still have a life that needs seeing to LOL

That's why my suggestion would be to have a separate “rating” on the tab that it is no longer needed. It's not saying if it is accurate but if it isn't needed any longer. If it has been supplanted by another tab. If a tab got 5 “unneeded” votes (which should require a comment on the tab of why it isn't needed) it would show up on a list to be reviewed for removal. THAT is when a master bassist (be careful on your enunciation there!) would come in to verify that the tab does not need to be kept on the site, and delete it.

I guess the risk there is someone could just go through and reformat a bunch of the tabs, resubmit them, and claim authorship. And then there's hurt egos, spats, crying, hissy fits, etc.

But we have 7 versions of Bohemian Rhapsody. That's getting close to the number of songwriters on a typical Justin Beiber “song”, clearly an indication of a problem!
LoudLon [moderator]
The problem being either the tabber or the rater not having a good enough ear to tab/hear the song accurately. Not that I'm shifting any blame. I've flubbed my share of songs LOL

New sub: Rocket, by Smashing Pumpkins

Reply to this thread