Sorry Johnny. I am on disability from a spinal injury and live with my brother. He just lost his job. I am a little messed up over this and was thinking I could reach out to you guys for a little cheer up. I don't know. I don't know what I was expecting or even thinking. I changed my mind and didn't think that this was the place to do it. So I tried to delete the thread but couldn't. I am sorry. I just don't know what to do. Please forgive me. And lock the thread if you like.
no problem man, we all have our off days - just watch a good movie or read a good book, one step at a time. if you feel really depressed try seeking out professional help, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
When I need a boost I tend to play a few favorite easy songs. Loudly. And sing along. Loudly. I'm not much of a singer, so it's not pretty, but it seems to burn off a lot of the stress/angst and get me in a better mood. My go-to songs are:
She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult Warning by Green Day Cool From The Wire by Dirty Looks Feelings Are Good by The Neurotic Outsiders Blood & Roses by The Smithereens
It's about 18 minutes (and I have to switch basses or drop tune for the last one), and I'm feeling much better. My wife, daughter and dog feel better when the singing ends, too!
Sometimes arthritis keeps me from playing the bass for several days in a row. I just refuse to get depressed. Instead I can watch YouTube channels of colleagues and teachers like Scott Devine. Furthermore I'm very interested in well made scientific documentaries with exciting content.
My main motto is: “I won't get depressed, period!”
Also whenever I cannot practice my instrument for whatever reason I use visualisation techniques. Basically I try to visualize myself practicing really deliberate. Right down to the very last detail without actually doing it physically. It really do helps a lot.